Modern Pentathlon 101: Qualification
36 men and 36 women will compete in modern pentathlon at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
How they will qualify:
Qualification Places (33 athletes per gender)
- One quota place for the winner of the 2015 UIPM World Cup Final
- 20 quota places from the Continental Championships
- Three quota places for the three highest ranked athletes at the 2015 UIPM World Championships
- Three quota places for the three highest ranked athletes at the 2016 UIPM World Championships
- Six quota places will be allocated via the Pentathlon World Ranking List on June 1, 2016 to the top six athletes not already qualified through the above competitions.
Host Country Places (1 athlete per gender)
- The host country is guaranteed one quota place per gender, if not otherwise qualified.
Tripartite Commission Invitation Places (2 athlete per gender)
- The Tripartite Commission was established to give a fair and equal opportunity for the best athletes in the world to participate in the Olympic Games, as well as to ensure universal representation. Click HERE for more information on the Tripartite Commission. If the Tripartite Commission is not able to allocate a Tripartite Commission Invitation Place, it will be reallocated to the next highest ranked athlete on the Pentathlon World Ranking List on June 1, 2016 that is not already qualified.